02 June 2018

May 2018

May has slipped by super fast, so fast that I can hardly remember what we have been so busy with. Maybe if I took photos of stuff other than the animals it would remind me. It all started in early May, 4 days in to be precise, when my team went overboard with a May the 4th be With You morning tea at work. There was a teensy bit of pushing and nagging on my part, being the uber-organiser and all. And luckily those team members that aren't nerds have nerdy husbands, who lent us many props.


Then the next day was a book fair in Upper Hutt. I bought about 20 books - I need a much bigger bookcase. So I've been neglecting housework and enough sleep each time I pick up a new book - but I'm trying to pace myself. I've been sewing too - slowly but steadily using up bits of my rather large store of fabric. But I am never content to just stop - I like having a project on the go and then when it's done, I just go straight on to the next. Again, I think the answer is just to have a bigger wardrobe?

We've also been getting a bit of work around the house done this last month. Not that much can really get done with Nathan almost always working overtime. But little things here and there. Getting rid of gorse, clearing the vege garden. I've finally started hemming curtains - about a year after I put them up but still, it's something. I need to keep up the momentum and get the living room finished because I'm going to try be social for once and have people over. Not a party, just a mid-winter potluck thing, but we've actually never had a group of people over since we moved in - we didn't bother with a housewarming, there was too much unpacking to do. And being rather anti-social we don't have mutual friends that we spend time with so it is just my people probably - mostly (all?) work people. Hopefully it goes well. Maybe it can become a tradition, we'll see.

It's only 3 and a half months now till we go on holiday to Europe. We have started booking accommodation and we're still finding out about all the awesome stuff we might want to do while we're away, and we used some of our Airbnb money to buy concert tickets. We've still got quite steady Airbnb bookings to bring in a little extra cash for the trip - and we'll definitely do it over summer to make up a bit for all the money we plan on spending overseas. But the novelty has definitely worn off, I'm sick of meeting new people. One of the things I dislike about it is the review process - it's important but I hate having to write reviews about people, always saying the same thing because it would be mean to say anything else, and it's not like posting a rating and review about a product or a movie - it's about people. And people we hardly know. I've stopped reading the ones that get posted about us. The next big Airbnb task is actually to figure out how to pay tax on it. And then before you know it, we will be the travellers staying in other people's houses and hopefully we can find someone really good to look after our house and pets while we are away.



No comments:

Post a Comment