Pages

29 August 2016

August 2016 - still working on building consent

For all of this month, we have been waiting. Every week the architect suggests that the documents we need are nearly ready and he will send them soon. This time he sounds quite certain; he is now calling it a package and asks if we want it emailed or in hardcopy. So maybe tomorrow we can finally apply for consent. This guy definitely makes mountains out of molehills though. His latest email suggested that we would need to print two copies of everything and take it to the council. Should we really be trusting a so-called professional that is so misinformed and behind the times that he doesn't know that councils have online portals for consent applications?

If we get the consent application in this week, maybe we will have the house on site by the end of September. So only a month late. The house itself is going well, not quite on schedule or it would be finished already. But it has walls and cladding, this week they will probably put in the bathroom and kitchen. Then painting, and then it's ready for the site.

The site is almost ready for the house too. The land has been scraped flat and the bank cut for the retaining wall. They are also now waiting on the documents from the architect, as the earthworks team don't trust that the architect won't change the placement of the house or something silly like that. I guess they have had some unsatisfactory dealings with him in the past.  It doesn't add to our confidence in him, that's for sure. And this is the new architect that the company contacted because the old one was no good. Doesn't say much for the profession.

My best guess at this stage is that our house will be ready at the end of September.  We need to buy a fridge and a couch, and we have been given a really nice dining table and chairs from Nathan's parents. So that also means we have a month to clean up our current house and sell our furniture and the extra tv. I have two bolts of really nice curtain fabric, and the rest of the house can wait because the next big spend (after the consent that is) will be a fence for part of the section. All my plants are currently in pots and buckets so I'll have an instant garden when we move. Everything is planned and we are just waiting for a bit of security around the date. In the meantime we're paying rent and mortgage, which is starting to take a heavy toll.

Let's finish with photos. I'm posting from my phone again so no photoshopping today, just a bunch of photos.






01 August 2016

July 2016 - building consent

Today's post is coming to you two days late for a couple of reasons. First, I have been so sick with a cold. Second, there is something wrong with my computer - it is going so slow, it takes about 5 minutes to do every single little thing. It was never a good computer but not this bad, I think I need to reboot it back to factory settings. But first I need the patience to transfer some files to a hard drive, which in its current state could take hours! Sip this morning I am once again writing on my phone, on the bus. It's a clear morning, the sun is just up and the horizon is all orange.

In news this month, wet have been struggling to finish cleaning up the land and to get our building consent sorted. We haven't finished either. The land is nearly done, we need to get some rubbish taken away and then we're ready for the site works. The building consent has been a nightmare. We started looking into it ages ago, and the company told us they would supply the information about the house that we would need, and that we didn't need a surveyor. We talked to the council and they said we were pretty much sorted, just needed one more technical drawing. But out seems that our contract at Matrix didn't nearly know much about the building consent and the information she gave us wasn't much good. The main mix up was because, while we are doing site consent, they are arranging it to be installed on site, so we assumed that they would have sorted out all the information around installing on site. So what we are missing is a technical drawing showing the drainage on the site, to the sewage and stormwater connections. They only supplied the house drainage. And there is no clarity in the contract about this sort of thing, so we had some tense conversations. Basically, we are of the opinion that of the company were not going to supply this, they should have told us we needed to arrange a draftsman to do it. After all, their subcontractor will need the drainage plan when it comes time to lay the drains. Now, I don't know if we are right in our assumptions, but their architect is now sorting out some new drawings for us so I guess we aren't completely wrong.

The result of all this is that we should have had our consent application submitted last week, and now it probably won't be fine till next week. So maybe the house won't arrive till September. The delay can't be pinned on us luckily, otherwise the contract would have us paying an extra $100 a day for every day that it stays in the factory after completion. Even if we had the site drainage plan sorted on time, the architect has made changes to the way the two modules join, so we need new drawings for that and an updated foundation design anyway. So all in all, it could be worse, we could be in a situation that was going to cost us a lot of money. But I'm still not happy with the delay, I'm sick of our rented house, I want my nice new house.

So the plan for this month is to get building consent, do our site works, and hopefully have our house delivered. Also have to go down to Christchurch for a weekend, for a midmid-winter Christmas with Nathan's family. Also have to really start packing up our stuff! And make curtains and go couch shopping. So the pace is definitely not slowing any time soon.

Here's an update on the house: