01 March 2018

February 2018

Here in Wellington things are busy. February was not really very summery, but I'm still busy in the garden when I can be. Our tomato plants are growing and producing lots of little tomatoes but they're all green and maybe they won't ripen now. I'll have to make green tomato relish instead.

Our big news for February is that we decided to go on a holiday later this year. To Europe. We're thinking a couple of weeks in September but I've been told twice now that two weeks is not very long considering how far we plan to travel. So maybe we will go for longer. But we would need a house and pet sitter. Anyway, a big holiday like that will require money, and lots of it because I want to do lots of shopping and refresh my wardrobe. So last weekend I signed us up for Airbnb, we cleaned the house and tidied the guest room and thought maybe there will be the odd guest that wants to stay in Wainui. 

Well within an hour I had a message! Now we won't go into that too much because to cut a long story short, that first booking was a bit of a disaster. They got in late off the ferry and it was super dark out here (and our house isn't visible from the street), I was asleep and didn't hear my phone and Nathan's didn't go off because of there being a typo in the contact number I'd provided (so all my fault really) - but at the same time, they should have come up to the house, seen the porch light was on and knocked because Nathan was waiting up for them. So I blamed myself because of course two young women might be nervous to go up a dark driveway in the middle of the night in a random suburb that seems like the middle of nowhere. But in hindsight, they really should have come up to the house so I guess I could have blamed them for being chickens and going off to the city to find some other alternative place to stay. 

Anyway, learnt some lessons. And we now have our first guests staying with us for a week, a young French couple wanting some quiet time near the bush. And then in two weeks we have an older Singaporean couple that have not been to NZ since 1978. So I hope we keep getting bookings and make some money!

Nothing else much is happening. I'm getting to work with my sewing machine because if we are going to have spending money in Europe I can't be buying clothes until then, so if I want new stuff I have to make it. Plus I still need to finish hemming the curtains... I've also been making jam and relish - so much so that I have not jars left but I still have a tree covered in peaches and a box of apples in the fridge. Tomorrow is recycling day so maybe while I walk Cher I will keep an eye out and scavenge from recycling bins? But to be honest, they're mostly full of wine and beer bottles.

And once again it seems that I have only bothered to take photos of the animals this month. Obviously I need to get more of a life. So here is the cat in my freshly turned garden, the dog when she was sad with an upset stomach, and the chooks chilling in the bush.




No comments:

Post a Comment