25 July 2013

High Stress Levels

Me and stress don't go together very well. For the most part I manage to be pretty calm and chilled out, but when that fails I am such a mess. Moving to Wellington and starting work immediately has had me teetering on the edge for weeks, and this morning's somewhat dramatic events are a good example of how me and stress don't go well together.

To begin with, I've been tired all week because Cher has been waking me up at least a half hour before my alarm (which is set really bloody early to begin with so that I have time to walk her). I sorted out flatmates, but the one that has moved in already has so far demonstrated a habit of getting up at 5 am to have breakfast? Perhaps it will not be an every morning thing though - or perhaps she will get quieter or I will get used to it and not wake up. I am still in the process of organising my new life - I have registered the dog up here yet and I haven't changed over my car registration, but I have changed my details for other important things, and I also had time to get my brakes fixed, which was very necessary. I bought a shiny new tv but still don't have enough furniture, or internet, or a proper aerial on the roof for getting freeview. And I had long work days, which really tire me out. And I found out that I have a deadline for my thesis and it is September 30, which really means mid-September because I need time to print it and get forms signed and arrange for it to be handed in without my being there in person. So, lot's to be worried and stressed about right? Add to that the fact that I hadn't sorted out anywhere to stay in Christchurch (I am here two nights, on my way to and from Aus). Finally, on top of it all, I have had a cold. So yesterday at work I wasn't in a very good mood.

After work, and taking the dog for a run, I got accommodation sorted at the YHA, who were so helpful and made it so easy. I immediately felt better and less stressed, which carried through to the morning, even thought I didn't get enough sleep. However, then things got bad again. First I had to find time to go the bank, because I opened up another bank account so that I could get a credit card and stuff (PSIS just doesn't cut it when it comes to buying stuff online). The lady at the bank is very nice but she is also very slow. So after that I was running a little late, but what really made my morning bad was that I managed to drive the wrong way as I tried to get to the kennels where Cher was booked in. Which I might add was another reason for my general stress, as I worry about leaving her in a strange place. So instead of going the right way I headed out to the Hutt, and ended up in Petone. Between that and another couple of wrong turns I surely wasted a half hour that I really needed. So I got her to the kennel and I liked the place well enough, and getting back to the city went smoothly. But then I had to park the car up by my brother's place, where the parking is not free but apparently nobody ever checks it. There were none close to his house so I had to drive way up this tiny windy road, then when I found a park I had to try to turn around to go back to it. So on this tiny, windy road my three point turn ended in my backing into another car. Luckily, a parked car and nobody was around to see. But that's really bad, right? What's worse - I was so rushed for time I couldn't stop to see how much damage I had done or to leave a note. I just left it. How bad is that.

Next I had to parallel park in a tiny space on a hill. I'm not good at parallel parking. It didn't go well. Probably the worst parked car ever. But I had to leave it because I was going to miss my plane. At this point I should have stopped and thought 'I should call a taxi to get me there faster and with less hassle'. Of course, I didn't think of that because I already had my plan of getting on the airport bus and in my stressed out state I couldn't think enough to deviate from the plan. So I walked as fast as I could to the bus-stop, and I didn't manage to take the fastest walking route because I'm still getting used to the city, and the weather was much warmer than I anticipated so I was very warm and uncomfortable. I made it to the bus stop in a state of panic, to find that the next bus was 10 minutes away. So I waited, still in a state of panic, convinced I would miss my flight and hoping that they would be kind enough to just put me on the next flight at no cost. The bus finally arrived and I double checked my electronic ticket, which said that I had to be there 20 minutes before departure, not the half hour I thought. So I had an extra 10 minutes to get there. The bus arrived just on time and I rushed in and ran to the check in place, because AirNZ doesn't do online check in (if it did, I would have not been worried at all). I put my booking number into the self-service thing, and it said that I could not check in! Then it printed out a ticket that told me to go get some assistance. Luckily, an AirNZ person saw me looking so flustered and managed to quickly get me onto the flight, so I did make it in the end. But it was not fun, I have never cut it so close before (except when I nearly missed my Ireland-NZ flight, but that was the connecting flight's fault and not my own).

So that was my morning, and the culmination of my being too stressed out is extra-bad driving. So in the future, I must try harder not to get into such a situation. I have already reduced my work hours, so that I have time for my thesis without getting into that state. Next I simply have to not book travel and then move city right before I go, neglecting to finish organising my travel. Perhaps not getting lost while driving in Wellington would help too?

Now I'm in Christchurch and soon I'll be off to Aus for 4 days. Can't wait. Have no money though. When I get back I will have internet on in the house, so I will be able to start including photos again. I will have flatmates and I will finish getting furniture. I will finish my stupid thesis. But right now I'm going to go and relax and have a holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment